The picture of this soup got more likes than 95% of the things I put on Instagram. The picture was pretty but the taste of this soup was way better! It’s got a slight kick from the chorizo, a creaminess from the coconut milk, and the perfect amount of bite with the kale and sweet potato. This soup embodies comfort food. And I love how easy it is to make! I was hoping to have enough left for my lunch the next day but my family kept going back for more! Then my daughter asked me to pack what was left in her thermos for lunch the next day so there went my lunch. But what mother would complain when their child asks for a healthy lunch?! Certainly not this mom.
This recipe came about because I had purchased some chorizo and then couldn’t decide what I wanted to do with it one night. Naturally I jumped on Pinterest and typed in “Paleo Chorizo”. I scrolled down a bit to see what caught my eye and BAM…soup! Guys, I was in tears laughing so hard at this recipe post too. I never even bothered to click on the original recipe because I just needed inspiration to make something. The blog the pin lead me to is called Pintester and the woman is HILARIOUS! Click here if you want to read the post that had myself, my husband and my best friend cracking up. Which then lead to my best friend and I joking about one pot meals, crockpots and being lazy. Just go read the post, you’ll laugh.
Chorizo, Kale and Sweet Potato Soup
Notes: This recipe could easily be made in a crock pot too, but I haven’t tried it yet. If you do, be sure to come back and let me know in the comments!! Make it in the same order you would for the stove. Brown the meat, then add everything (minus the arrowroot starch, coconut milk, and Kale) to the crock pot and cook on low for a few hours. Then about 15 minutes to a half hour before serving, whisk the arrowroot with the can of coconut milk and add that and the kale to the pot. Stir well and cover to let it finish cooking.
- 1 Lb. chorizo (look for one that is free of weird ingredients! and preferably pastured)
- 2 1/2 cups sweet potatoes, diced (about 2 medium)
- 1 medium bell pepper, diced (color of choice)
- 1 medium red or yellow onion, diced
- 2 Tb coconut oil or cooking fat of choice
- 6 cups chicken bone broth or chicken broth
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 4 cups packed kale, chopped
- 2 Tb arrowroot starch
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- In a stockpot, add the coconut oil, diced bell peppers, and chorizo. Cook over medium/high heat, breaking up the meat until it is fully cooked.
- Add the sweet potatoes, broth, onion and garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir.
- Reduce heat to medium and cover.
- In a small bowl whisk the arrowroot starch and coconut milk until smooth. Set aside.
- After about 10-15 minutes, add the kale and coconut milk to the soup. Stir gently every few minutes.
- Soup is ready when the kale has softened and sweet potatoes are fork tender.
*If you’re looking for something else to serve this with may I suggest my recipe for Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Dates! They make a perfect appetizer and would pair well with this soup. Together they’d make for a great dinner party!