Mint Chip ice cream was always my favorite as a kid! I could go to town on anything mint and chocolate flavored. Andes Mints, York Peppermint Patties, oh and even the lovely McDonalds Shamrock Shake. Things have obviously since changed and I no longer eat any of those things. I still crave that minty chocolate flavor though. Which lead me to create this recipe a few days ago.
I had some fresh mint in my fridge to use up and decided to give it a whirl (literally) in a shake. I actually made three variations before striking gold and creating one that not only I loved, but my daughters thought was delicious too!
You can make this your own with a few easy swaps/adjustments.
- Swap cold brew for more milk if you’re not a coffee lover, have had your quota for the day, it’s later in the day…you get the point.
- Use any variety milk that you prefer (I used the almond milk in a jug). If you have coconut milk, use that or even regular cows milk.
- You can easily leave out the hemp hearts, but they do add more healthy proteins and fats to keep you fueled. Costco sells them in a big bag for a great price!
- Use whatever kind of chocolate protein powder you have. Only have vanilla? Use it! Then add 1-2 tsp cocoa powder to give it a chocolate flavor or just omit it.
- You can easily use regular chocolate chips such as Enjoy Life Chips in place of cacao nibs. Cacao nibs are more nutrient dense though since it is pure cacao, and has no sweetener.
- MCT oil can also be left out if you don’t have it. There aren’t really any swaps for it. Coconut oil is the usual swap but it will solidify in this since it’s cold.
- Want to make this Keto? Replace the honey with 1/2 tsp stevia powder or a few drops of liquid stevia. I’ve made it both ways, with liquid stevia and one with raw honey and loved them both.
- The honey can also be replaced with real maple syrup.
Mint Mocha Protein Shake
- 1/4 cup very loosely packed, fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 of an avocado
- 1/2 cup cold brew coffee or regular brewed coffee that is cold
- 1/4 cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 2 scoops chocolate protein powder (1 serving size of your protein powder)
- 1 Tb cacao nibs (or chocolate chips)
- 1 Tb Hemp hearts
- 1 Tb MCT oil
- 1/2-1 Tb raw honey (see options above)
- 5-6 ice cubes (however many will fit in your mini blender)
- Place all ingredients in a blender. I use my mini ninja. Be sure to place the ice closest to the blades. Blend until smooth.