I’m going to keep this post short and sweet. Mostly because I’m fighting off a migraine and it’s now a dull ache that I like to refer to as a migraine hangover headache. If you follow me on snapchat, (you can find me @paleohope) you heard me venting today about the “joys” of dining out. I got dairied. If that’s not a word then it is now. It is infuriating to me how you can tell people at a restaurant that you have an allergy and instead of making a new meal they pick off the offending food and give it back to you. Most of the time I am able to figure it out before I start eating. This was a chop salad though and the cheese was hiding. They picked most of it off but missed some and I ate it. I don’t have anger issues but I really wanted to take my bowl back to the kitchen and chuck it right at them. Needless to say, I was polite and just asked them to take it off my bill. And now here I sit suffering the consequences of their actions. They just don’t realize that even by the food just touching, people can get very sick.
Swaps and Tips
- Not a raspberry fan? Sub in dried fruit or fresh or frozen blueberries!
- If you don’t have canned coconut milk and you tolerate dairy, you can use half and half or heavy cream.
- Baking time varies so much from one oven to the next so check it every 5 minutes once its baked for an hour.
- We toasted a few pieces under the broiler and it was amazing! My girls slathered theirs with butter and let it melt right in.
Chocolate Raspberry Banana Protein Bread
- 3 large bananas or 4 small ones, very ripe
- 4 large eggs
- 4 Tb raw honey (maple syrup will work too!)
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tb full fat coconut milk (from a can)
- 1/2cup + 1Tb cup coconut flour
- 2 scoops chocolate protein powder (I use Orgain Organic Protein)
- 1/4 cup + 1Tb cocoa powder
- 3 Tb tapioca starch
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips (feel free to use any size)
- 1/2 cup rough chopped fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350* and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl beat with a hand mixer the bananas and eggs until they start to get creamy and slightly thickened, about 2 minutes on high.
- Add in the honey and coconut milk and beat until incorporated.
- Sift in the remaining ingredients except the chocolate and raspberries. Stir just until combined.
- Fold in the raspberries and chocolate chips.
- Scoop batter into the loaf pan and gently smooth out.
- Bake for 1 hour-1 hour and 15 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting. Good luck with this though, my husband cut into it hot out of the oven and burned his tongue.