I adore this style of breakfast. It’s so easy, delicious, and customizable for your taste preferences and what you have on hand. Veggie packed, tasty breakfast with protein and healthy fats, what could be better than that?!
There’s a simple formula to follow to make them and once you get that down, you’ll be hooked! For the most part these can be made with one pan. However, if you want to add eggs then you’ll need two pans. Eggs are always worth it though.
What You Need:
- A cast iron pan (the size of pan you need is determined by the number of servings). For just one serving, I use a 6″ skillet.
- A variety of sturdier vegetables such as sweet potatoes, white potatoes, okra, bell peppers, onions, zucchini, mushrooms, fennel, rutabaga, and brussels sprouts. Get creative!
- You can use pre-cooked, leftover vegetables too by adding them to pan right before putting in the oven.
- Leafy greens can be added the last few minutes in the oven by adding a bit of oil to the pan then gently tossing the spinach/greens around with the other veggies. Close the oven and allow to cook for a few more minutes.
- A healthy oil such as coconut oil, avocado oil, lard from grass fed pastured animals, or ghee.
- A source of pre-cooked animal protein. Some examples are roast chicken, breakfast meatballs, shredded meat, paleo friendly sausage links sliced up. (If you decide to add eggs, you can leave this out, or add both!)
- Seasoning of choice. (Adobo is my go-to fave!)
- Start with preheating your oven to 425°.
- Prep all your vegetables by cutting them into bite sized pieces.
- Turn your heat to medium and add some oil to your pan. Allow it melt and the pan to heat up. Then add your vegetables. Place the ones that take the longest to cook in first. So if you’re cooking potatoes and zucchini, add the potatoes and cook for ten minutes before adding the zucchini.
- When your vegetables are just about done (you do NOT need to cook all the way), season well with whatever herbs and spices you’d like. Then slide your veggies over in the pan to add in your meat or mix together. Using an oven mitt place your pan in the preheated oven. Cook for about 5-10 minutes depending on what vegetables and meat you’re using. Potatoes and sweet potatoes get wonderfully crispy on the outside and soft inside! All your meat should be precooked so its just getting reheated.
- Remove from oven and place on a hot pad to cool slightly before grabbing a fork and eating right out of your pan! BAM! One dish!
- If you decide you want to add an egg, when your breakfast is almost done in the oven grab another pan and cook your eggs to your personal liking. Remove the cast iron pan from the oven and top it with your egg!
Be adventurous and try new variations, new vegetables, add in some liver to your breakfast meatballs! Start your day off with a nutritional kick and load up on veggies and proteins! Your body will thank you!