I could eat this on the daily! All the flavors of apple pie but not all the sugar to make your blood sugar go wonky. The sweet potatoes add a satisfying savory flavor making it perfect for breakfast or a side dish. Sweet potatoes are also complex carbohydrate so they are a better source of carbs than just apples furthering the aid in blood sugar stabilization. The crumb topping has a nice crunch from the nuts and a delicious sweetness from the little bit of coconut sugar.
This recipe uses tigernut flour which is actually not a nut but an ancient tuber. They are a wonderful source of prebiotics. Prebiotic’s are something that feed the good gut bacteria. Probiotics are adding more of those good gut bacteria. (That’s a very oversimplified explanation). You can purchase tigernut flour off of Amazon, thrive market, and some specialty stores. This flour is also AIP! (autoimmune Paleo)
Sweet Potato, Apple and Pecan Crumble
- 3 medium sized sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 organic Apple, cored and diced (not peeled)
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon spectrum vegetable shortening melted
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom
- Pinch of sea salt
- 3/4 cup tigernut flour
- 1/2 cup spectrum vegetable shortening
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans (in the pic I used a mixture of almonds and pecans)
- Preheat oven to 400°
- You can either use a 9 x 13 glass pan or a deep 8 x 8 glass pan.
- In a large bowl combine filling ingredients, Set aside.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut together topping ingredients except nuts. Then gently stir in the nuts.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the topping mixture to the filling and stir together.
- Pour filling ingredients into your baking dish.
- Sprinkle crumb topping over the top of the filling evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender when a knife is inserted. Baking time will change depending on how big or small you cut your apples and sweet potatoes.
**This could also be made into a more complete breakfast by cooking 1 pound of ground sausage and one diced onion then add it to the filling mixture. (See the picture below for that version).